The foundation of our methods is the development of the self — the intellectual, social, moral and physical capabilities. It is the essential recognition that a well-developed intellect is not enough if the heart – the social, moral, and artistic faculties – is not cultivated as well.
Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. ― Aristotle
- Leadership attributes are developed through experiences requiring initiative, decision-making, and accountability.
- Accentuation of the Growth Mindset which is a focus on dedication and hard work.
- Higher order thinking matures through questioning, investigating, experimenting, creativity, analysis, problem solving, and synthesis.
- Learners are engaged intellectually, emotionally, socially, soulfully, and physically.
- Children are recognized as natural learners who best thrive with self-directed inquiries, and learning from natural consequences, mistakes and successes.
- The educator establishes the foundation for positive educational experiences and endeavors, but also recognizes and allows for spontaneous opportunities of learning.
- Students engage in activities that address human and community needs together with structured opportunities for reflection designed to achieve desired learning outcomes.
Experiential Education is the bedrock of our curriculum. It is a hands-on, authentic education that develops the whole person through purposeful engagement, critical analysis, mindful reflection, and synthesis. Almondale Academy employs the predominant disciplines of Project-based education, Expeditionary learning, and Service learning in all three modes of educational settings: formal and informal education.
- Project Based Learning
Our school population and environment is best served with a project – based approach. Children are natural learners and studies demonstrate curriculum that is hands on, student directed, uses real-world scenarios, with challenges, and problems, engages students and invites them to further develop their investigative, analytical, teamwork and self-management skills.
- Expeditionary Learning
Authentic education demands real world experiences. Students are the most excited and engaged in concrete activities in the outer world. Learning becomes more deeply rooted, inspiring further investigation and absorption in the subject matter. Hence bi-monthly expeditionary excursions is an integral part of our curriculum. For 4th grade and up, we begin our year with an overnight team building camping trip . The students hone their science skills during a week long camping expedition during the fourth quarter. Finally, we finish our year with a three day camping excursion to celebrate a successful school year.
- Service Learning
Students developing into effective ministers of positive change within their personal lives and communities is the foundatin of Almondale Academy’s educational philosophy. Our curriculum incorporates interpersonal relationships through school meetings, community service, and peer teaching.